Golf carts are becoming rapidly popular as a method of transportation because they are smaller, less expensive than cars, and most are rechargeable electric vehicles. The golf carts provide a variety of unique safety and comfort features to fulfill the needs of golfers.
But, it is essential to determine ”Are the Golf Carts Street Legal”. The laws governing golf carts on public roads differ from state to state and even city to city. Golf carts are street-legal in some states, but only in certain areas, such as Florida and Texas. In Delaware, Hawaii, Maryland, Missouri, and Rhode Island, golf carts are not legal to drive on public roadways.
Are Golf Carts Street Legal
What Makes a Golf Cart Street Legal?
Many states allow golf carts to drive on public highways. However, according to Motor and Wheels, the rules may differ by state. Some laws ban driving golf carts, while others refer to them as “low-speed vehicles.” There are also push golf cart for carrying golf bag in the ground.
Do you need a license to drive a golf cart?
A licensed driver must drive a street legal golf cart in many states. The carts must be lawful and comply with all municipal, state, and federal regulations. Therefore, what does a golf cart need to be street legal? If you’re ready to prepare your golf cart for street use, I’ve covered the street legal golf cart requirements that you’ll need to make a golf cart street legal.
- Head, brake, and tail lights with turn signals are all necessary as the working lights.
- A 17-digit number Vehicle Identification Number is necessary
- A speedometer and horn is necessary to register a golf cart.
- A bracket with a light that illuminates the license plate
- Tires, wipers, and seat belts that are DOT approved
- All corners of the cart have reflex reflectors.
- 20 to 25 mph is the minimum top speed.
- Mirrors for the inside and outside
How to Make a Golf Cart Street Legal?
You will need to learn how to make golf cart street legal. I’ll also give you everything you’ll need to license your street golf cart quickly and easily.
- One of the essential factors in making a golf cart street legal is to add golf cart lights.
- You should also need to look for a street legal golf cart kit.
- As you’ll be sharing the road with full-size cars, you’ll want to choose a sturdy, shatter-resistant windshield that will protect you from anything that a passing car or truck.
- The next item you’ll need is mirrors if you’ve chosen a street legal golf cart kit with the necessary lighting/indicators and a windscreen.
- You must ensure that you are wearing the seatbelts.
Laws in Your State and Neighborhood
The probable question that comes to your mind is, ”Is it legal to drive a golf cart in a neighborhood”? First, check your state and local rules before driving a golf cart on public roads. The local government may allow you to use your golf cart in the neighborhood. But the state may not allow you to drive on public roads.
- If you want to use a cart where it’s legal, check sure the model fits all federal standards. If a golf cart passes federal regulations, it’s likely to meet state rules.
- You should also check if gasoline-powered golf carts are legal in your community and state.
- You can also drive an electric golf cart in the neighborhood. In addition to the license plate, your state may require a reflective triangle sign on the back.
- Finally, you may have the golf cart verified, registered, and licensed.
Golf Cart License
You will also need to know how to get a golf cart license. Following are the steps that will help you how to register a golf cart.
- if driving license is required . You may get a golf cart license by visiting the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website.
- You should visit the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website. Select the right state from the menu and follow the on-screen instructions. You should have the owner’s credit card and social security number.
- Call your insurance company to have the golf cart licensed.
- Fill out a form downloaded from the DMV website. Please return it to the DMV office in your area.
Golf Cart vs LSV
In Georgia, golf cart laws differentiate between golf carts and low-speed vehicles (LSVs). Georgia golf cart rules are designed to keep drivers, passengers, and pedestrians safe.
LSVs golf carts generally need more equipment than a golf cart. The main difference is that a golf cart cannot reach more than 20 mph, while an lsv golf cart may reach a speed between 20 to 25mph. Another difference is that golf carts have tail lamps. On the other hand, low-speed vehicles have headlamps.
Now, you will need to ponder whether a golf cart has titles. There are no titles on standard golf carts. However, you must get a certificate of title when a standard golf cart may convert to an lsv golf cart. Golf carts without a certificate of title can cause several problems, particularly in terms of criminality. The lack of a title makes it more difficult than buying a real vehicle.
State-by-State Golf Cart Laws on Public Roads
Now, the only thing you need to know, Is to drive a golf cart on the road possible. So, here, I am giving you the main five state rules for driving golf carts on roads.
The golf carts are not considered a vehicle in Alabama and cannot drive lawfully on public roadways.
Electric golf carts in Alaska may drive on roads having a speed limit of 35 mph or less.
Delaware, golf carts are not allowed on public roads and should drive on private property.
In Hawaii, golf carts are not allowed to have a 17-character VIN. It means they won’t be able to fulfill the federal requirements for making golf carts street legal.
Golf carts in Colorado are only allowed to drive on roadways having speed limits of less than 35 miles per hour. A triangle slow-moving vehicle sign will be necessary on the back of golf carts.
What is the Best Street Legal Golf Cart?
Here are three of the best street golf cart models.
1. Club Car Villager
It is the best street golf cart for four people.
2. E-Z-Go Golf Street Golf Cart
The ezgo street legal golf cart is best for 6 people.
3. Bintelli Street Legal Golf Cart
The Bintelli 6PF stands out because all seats face forward for 6 people.
Golf carts are rapidly developing. So, in response to the question, are the golf carts street legal? As you can see, each state is unique, and you must still follow federal rules and regulations regardless of what your state says.
Before you decide to use your golf cart on the road, I suggest checking with your local authorities. Driving a golf cart on a road where it is prohibited might have serious consequences. You may face a considerable fine and perhaps jail time if you drive a golf cart along the road without a user license.
Q1: Can you drive a golf cart on the sidewalk?
No, driving a golf cart on a sidewalk is not legal in many regions and can lead to problems.
Q2: Can you drive a golf cart without a license?
Every golf cart driver needs a valid driver’s license for driving a golf cart on roads.
Q3: Where can you drive a golf cart?
You can easily drive the licensed golf cart in Florida, Texas, and Alaska.